Saturday, March 2, 2013

and a Matching Pillowcase!

See!  I made it, and I love it!  After looking at a bazillion pillowcase pattern and tutorial links online, for both ideas and instructions, I decided to go with a matching pillowcase body and cuff, but use something else for an accent trim.  I considered pink rick-rack, but then I saw the white flannel with pink polka dots and thought, "hmmmmmm."  Actually I considered using the polka dots for the cuff, but my sweetie, who has a much better eye for these things, said to use it for the accent strip.  And he was right--I love it!



For this pillowcase, I made the body 27" x wof (width of fabric, which was 45" before washing, and more like 43" after), the cuff was 9" x wof, and the accent strip was 2" x wof.  There's lots of extra room in the pillowcase, so if my girl decides on a bulkier pillow someday that what she has now, it should still fit.  Lessons I learned in making this pillowcase included french seams and stitching through some really thick layers of flannel!  And tonite, my little girl gets to sleep on her brand new, warm flannel ladybug sheets and matching pillowcase!  How cool is that?  :)  Cool enough that her big brother is asking for a baseball pillowcase! lol!


And here are the two primary links I used to make this pillowcase (though I looked at a bazillion more while I was learning/planning/choosing how to make it):
http://sewingpillowcases.com/index.shtml
http://filminthefridge.com/2010/01/27/pretty-quick-pillowcase-tutorial/

I am having a blast learning how to sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment